Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Rules. Ruler. Rudest .


At one time, like decades ago,  people seriously followed rules. Now the rules are flouted, sometimes by those involved in making them, and as it happened recently with a lady traffic warden in Bandra (who insisted on the rule being followed, and got hauled  up by the cops because the rule breakers had more muscle power....).

These days some four letter words actually start behaving like their idiomatic alter ego.

Like "Rule" . As a noun.

As a verb,  there is nothing much happening , unless you are the "ruler".

 And so I only worry about the noun.

I worry, because I don't think it is doing me any good to understand the "rule".

Innovative interpretation rules. Sometimes innovation includes strong disobedience.

Rules. They sent out a rule about not keeping plants in your balcony, because when you watered them, the stuff kind of dripped outside disfiguring the outside color. In a matter of 20 minutes, rule abiding family entities emptied my balcony of a bamboo plant, bougainvillea, ajwain bush, hibiscus tree, several tusli plants and a neem plant, not to mention several tomato plants and a watermelon plant which suddenly appeared from thrown peels.  Stuff was carted to the compound, and I never saw it again.  I look up, and I still see various disobedient plants daringly enjoying the breeze in various balconies. It's the sign of the times. Rule followers are stupid.

Rules. Rickshaws think they are on a well deserved picnic in our area. With kilometres of straight undulating roads, they unfailingly park on a corner of two roads, so the person taking a left turn cannot see traffic coming from the left. Honking, gesticulating and finally rolling down the window, has the fellow menacingly getting out from his seat, questioning if I owned the road, and daring me to do whatever I wish. He will not move.  He is waiting for someone, the vehicle is already hired.  I stay put. Traffic piles up behind me. Honks. He curses with the confidence of someone who has all eventualities  covered , gets out and pushes his rickshaw around the left turn by two feet. I wonder why. And continue wondering. I leave.

Rules. We are a nation that drives on the left .  Some folks think they are in the US when they drive.  As per "rules"  , you overtake from the right, and slow movers keep to the left most , usually imaginary lane (never thought there would be cheating in quality of white paint).  However, bikers, whose heads probably spin at additional rpm's when they wear a helmet, consider it their duty to always overtake from the left, even though you've been showing a left turning signal for a kilometre. So blatant is the driving, that they even drive between a bus queue and the stopped bus, and a friend of mine was injured because a biker crashed into her. Gestures to slow down or stop, from passengers disembarking from a bus, are rewarded with impatient looks , and an outrage at being made to decelerate. A fellow I questioned even angrily told me he paid taxes, and I told him that I paid taxes too, (that too, without banging my vehicle into folks), and owned as much of the road as he did.

 Rules. Why just bikers and public transport,  rules are broken again and again at the top.  We have a serious issue about womens' security, a law and order and policing problem,  there is  sniping and shooting on the western border with an enemy country,  a committee urgently deliberates on the improvement to laws and asks for suggestions, and the premier law and order entity of the country whizzes off to BanglaDesh to announce some new  improved visa regimes with that country. Despite the fact that the steady influx from BanglaDesh  to India across porous borders doesn't happen with visas. When the ability to prioritize is missing, chaos results.    

Rules. The new rule about gas cylinders, said we could have 6 cylinders a year at subsidized rates, and the remaining at enhanced rates. As a rule, it isn't clear, when they start counting.  I recently ordered a refill, and paid the unsubsidized rate of nine hundred something. When I mentioned not having utilized my six  cylinders at subsidized rates, I was told that it is 3 cylinders  for every six month period.  I was on my fourth cylinder , hence full price. You go and try visiting the dealer, and his office is packed with people and you are unable to enter. Everyone interpreting the rule their own way, the government even deciding  how I should consume my quota, regardless of whether I live in a cold climate, whether I have many family members, and other factors that affect gas consumption rates, that might actually vary during a year.  Vote bank politics has now decreed the new subsidized cylinder limit as 9. I just wonder , if these rules are simply going to give rise to a new surreptitious business of counting cylinders in a "different" way.    

Folks still go the wrong way on one-way streets, I see so many folks driving and talking with one hand stuck to their ear, nicely observable through the not so tinted glass; massive cars blatantly park at an angle, using up two parking spaces, people inside treat you like dirt when you ask them to straighten up.

 At a six lane intersection, with only one lane at right angles, and all lanes with two way traffic, a speeding rickshaw cuts finely a cm away from my toe , the driver glares and whizzes away, even though the light indicates that pedestrians may walk then; and a police chowky bang in the intersection is locked from outside, no one policing the intersection, because so many are busy catching drivers, cars , bikes and tempos, down the road.

It is normally traditional to breathe a sigh of relief when someone introduces rules .

You think life is simplified. 

No.  At least not here.

We have come to a point, that everytime there is a rule specified, an alternative system gears up to counter it, for a price.  Those that can pay, pay. At some point soneone up there, notices, and initiates one more rule to counter this.

And this continues ad nauseum, in what people call a loop.

In my younger IT working days, something getting stuck in a loop was bad news.

I guess times have changed.  

17 comments:

  1. Hi, I have been reading your blog for some time now. And now is a good time as any to say that I can relate to how you think, and how put your thoughts across. It is a pleasure to read this blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daydreamer, Thank you! Was checking out your blog, and had an unrelated question. Where in Mumbai can one get waterproof brush pens that have white ink?

      Delete
    2. Hi there! I'm not sure about waterproof brush pens that have white ink. But I have slightly different versions of that:
      Sakura pen with white ink. I love it.
      (http://www.himalayafineart.com/Product/1098/Sakura+Gelly+Roll+Medium+Point+White.aspx)

      Water Brush
      (http://www.flipkart.com/sakura-koi-portable-water-brush/p/itmdasf3nmhdggwb?pid=PBRDASYYE6KKC9KG&icmpid=reco_pp_cross_paint_brush_1)

      These days I tend to order things online because either they are not available in brick-and-mortar stores or the stores are far away. Although one cannot beat the feeling of elation that you experience when you enter an art supply store. Online stores don't do that for me. :)

      Delete
    3. Actually, I asked because I do a non artist's version of personalized warlis, and just thought a brush pen would be perfect instead of struggling with brushes. The ink has to be white . Here is something I did ages ago for someone . (I have done more but it isnt on the net :-)...)Sigh .

      http://blog.blogadda.com/2010/05/21/thank-you-suranga-date

      Delete
    4. Ah now I can see where you're coming from. Hmm, let me ask around if any of my friends know about waterproof brush pens with white ink. Lovely artwork, by the way. Warli is beautiful and timeless. :)

      Delete
  2. Yes, times have changed, Suranga. Our generation can remember a time when such rules which made everyday life easier were folowed. That's the problem, I suppose! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Times have changed indeed and, unfortunately, it's not always for the best which seems to be the case these days and not just in India! Great post as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sylvia, Thank you. The trouble is this kind of behaviour is becoming the norm....

      Delete
  4. You know actually following rules at times becomes more difficult... ! If you decide not to throw plastic out of the car you are asked where do you think the dustbin in which you dump the dirt goes ?!? Ever figured that !?

    When you decide to take a long turn instead of going the wrong side you are called a sissy who is scared... !!!

    When you decide to take the overbridge and not jump the train tracks... you are called inflexible and old !

    :) just saying you know !

    Super post by the way !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HW, Thank you. We are slowly becoming a stupid minority, it seems....:-(

      Delete
  5. You see the problem of inventing rules is that people find new ways to break them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ashwathy, i sometimes wonder if people think it is a sport. Breaking rules. Maybe if they had it in the Olympics we'd be winning medals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet we would. We are creative, that way! *sarcastic smile*

      Delete
  7. The problem is with entire mind set.Our leaders have been setting examples where one can escape the law.
    Everyone seems to have a " Contact" and hence the itch to break rules

    ReplyDelete
  8. Following the rules is part and parcel of our generation's mental make up, but we seem to be totally outnumbered by rude rule breakers now:(:(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everyone has different definitions depending upon the persons.It require first to follow on who made it.
    http://modonika.blogspot.in/2013/02/enter-to-win-modonika-jewelry-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete