There is a severe lack of reason, an avaricious attitude towards quick earnings, and a complete lack of ethics. There is no respect for life, women, parents, fellow beings, children, animals , and it appears at times, that animals have more sense of right and wrong compared to humans. An alarming tendency to take the law in one's own hands, and pride in being a liar .
Coming to a fork in the road and taking the wrong road seems to be in fashion. 2016 seems to be the zenith of such things.
And then I came across this information , which astounded me.
The Bhagwat Purana , one of the eighteen holy Puranas of Hindus, consists of 12 books (skandhas) covering 332 chapters (adhyayas) . The 12th book, has something to predict about how society will have evolved in Kalyug.
You dont have to be a believer in the theory of all these "Yugs". It isn't as if a bell rang somewhere in the universe, and Kalyug began. It really is a gradual sinking of human society into what maybe called the quicksand of blind thoughtless selfish desires
Personally, I am not very religious or ritualistic, fairly apolitical, and tend more towards a spiritual thinking mode. But whether you believe in anything, any religion, Kalyug, or God, or not, you cannot be anything but astounded at what has been predicted by Veda Vyasa thousands of years ago and documented in the Bhagwat Purana.
(Each of these actually elicited, in my mind, a snide comment related to current events. I've refrained from writing those comments here alongside each prediction. It would interesting to see what comes to your mind reading thee predictions. )
Check out the predictions here. Reproducing them below for quick perusal.
1. (12.2.1) Religion, truthfulness, cleanliness, tolerance, mercy, duration of life, physical strength and memory will all diminish day by day because of the powerful influence of the age of Kali.
2. (12.2.2) In Kali Yuga, wealth alone will be considered the sign of a man’s good birth, proper behaviour and fine qualities. And law and justice will be applied only on the basis of one’s power.
3. (12.2.3) Men and women will live together merely because of superficial attraction, and success in business will depend on deceit. Womanliness and manliness will be judged according to one’s expertise in sex, and a man will be known as a brahmana just by his wearing a thread.
4. (12.2.4) A person’s spiritual position will be ascertained merely according to external symbols, and on that same basis people will change from one spiritual order to the next. A person’s propriety will be seriously questioned if he dos not earn a good living. And one who is very clever at juggling words will be considered a learned scholar.
5. (12.2.5) A person will be judged unholy if he does not have money, and hypocrisy will be accepted as virtue. Marriage will be arranged simply by verbal agreement, and a person will think he is fit to appear in public if he has merely taken a bath.
6. (12.2.6) A sacred place will be taken to consist of no more than a reservoir of water located at a distance, and beauty will be thought to depend on one’s hairstyle. Filling the belly will become the goal of life, and one who is audacious will be accepted as truthful. He who can maintain a family will be regarded as an expert man, and the principles of religion will be observed only for the sake of reputation.
7. (12.2.7) As the earth thus becomes crowded with a corrupt population, whoever among any of the social classes shows himself to be the strongest will gain political power.
8. (12.2.9) Harassed by famine and excessive taxes, people will resort to eating leaves, roots, flesh, wild honey, fruits, flowers and seeds. Struck by drought, they will become completely ruined.
9. (12.2.10) The citizens will suffer greatly from cold, wind, heat, rain and snow. They will be further tormented by quarrels, hunger, thirst, disease and severe anxiety.
10. (12.2.11) The maximum duration of life for human beings in Kali Yuga will become 50 years.
11. (12.3.42) Men will no longer protect their elderly parents.
12. (12.3.41) In Kali-yuga men will develop hatred for each other even over a few coins. Giving up all friendly relations, they will be ready to lose their own lives and kill even their own relatives.
13. (12.3.38) Uncultured men will accept charity on behalf of the Lord and will earn their livelihood by making a show of austerity and wearing a mendicant’s dress. Those who know nothing about religion will mount a high seat and presume to speak on religious principles.
14. (12.3.36) Servants will abandon a master who has lost his wealth, even if that master is a saintly person of exemplary character. Masters will abandon an incapacitated servant, even if that servant has been in the family for generations. Cows will be abandoned or killed when they stop giving milk.
15. (12.3.32) Cities will be dominated by thieves, the Vedas will be contaminated by speculative interpretations of atheists, political leaders will virtually consume the citizens, and the so-called priests and intellectuals will be devotees of their bellies and genitals.
This is not a Nostradamic prediction, or something predicted by an obscure Bulgarian personality who documented her visions, actually "saw" events, and is supposed to have predicted 9/11.
It is a commentary on how society would develop . So many of the above predictions ring a bell , pointing to recent happenings and observation of behaviours , not just in India but across the world. Every single prediction above will remind you of something you recently heard, saw , or read.
I do not know what the solution is. And how to implement it , if it exists.
In 12.3.51 , the Bhagwatam suggests that the solution lies in chanting the name of God , to raise ourselves spiritually, and achieve transcendence , despite being in a terrible Kalyug.
I fear that.
So many of our problems today are happening because , across the world, so many chant the name of their own Lord , with evil motives in mind.